We all love a luxurious cashmere garment, until it comes time to wash them.
If you haven’t worn your favorite sweater in a year because you’re afraid to wash it, get ready to pull it out from the depths of your closet. We’ll be sharing everything you need to know when it comes to washing cashmere at home.
How to Wash Cashmere
Note: Hand washing cashmere is the safest method because some washing machines can shock and damage cashmere, even when you select the gentle cycle. Here are our recommended steps and tips for hand washing cashmere garments.
- Pretreat stains using a gentle soap or cashmere-specific cleaner.
- Gentle wash the garment using a wool or cashmere cleaner (the Laundress Wool & Cashmere Shampoo is one of the only cashmere-specific cleaners out there) paired with lukewarm water.
- Massage the cleaner into the cashmere gently and leave to sit for 30 minutes to an hour. You can also submerge the garment in a tub of lukewarm water with the cleanser and let it soak for the same period of time.
- Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Squeeze out the water very gently (do not wring).
- Place somewhere cool to air dry, ensuring the garment is laid flat and is kept away from the sun or other heat sources.
- Use a steamer to get any wrinkles and creases out.
Can you machine wash cashmere?
While it’s possible to machine wash cashmere, we’d recommend hand washing instead. This minimizes the risk of damage. However, if you do want to use your washing machine, see our tips below for best results.
How to Machine Wash Cashmere
- Always wash cashmere garments inside a mesh bag for protection
- Use cool or lukewarm water with a delicate cycle and low spin settings
- Use a gentle wool or cashmere shampoo (pretreat stains if needed)
- NEVER use a machine dryer – air dry flat away from any heat sources
At the end of the day, washing cashmere at home is easier than most people think. Since cashmere is very delicate, it’s important to make sure you don’t “shock” the fabric. This is why it’s important to avoid heat and to be gentle when hand washing. Get ready to wear your favorite sweater again!